- 2016: State of Maryland Governor’s Citation for contributions to the Werner H. Kirstein
Student Internship Program.
- 2012: National Cancer Institute, Certificate of Appreciation for research innovation in
- 2010: National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Federal Technology Transfer
Act award for the MedusaTM Sequencing project .
- 2006: Federal Laboratory Consortium For Technology Transfer (FLC) Technology
Recognition Award for Nanoprobes for Detection or Modification of Molecules. The
award recognizes “technologies not yet commercialized, but having great potential to be
- 2000: DBS Technology Transfer Award: for the Molecular Rotation Engine patent
- 1998: Federal Technology Transfer Act Cash Award (NCI): for “inventions, innovations,
computer software, or other outstanding scientific or technological contributions of value to
the United States due to commercial application or due to contributions to the missions of the
NCI or the Federal government. Additionally, cash awards are provided for other exemplary
activities that promote the domestic transfer of science and technology development.”
- 1998: On-the-Spot Award (DHHS, PHS): “for accomplishing the development of a program
that has made a dramatic improvement on the work of his group”. This was for inventing the
atchange program: http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/atchange.html
- 1992: Frederick County Public School System’s Highest honor, a Board Pin for being a
mentor in the National Cancer Institute Student Intern Program for 4 years.
- 1983: Graduate Student Research and Creative Work Award, University of Colorado.
- 1980-1981: National Institutes of Health Training Grant, NIH 5 T32 GM07385-04, at the
University of Colorado
- 1976: Robert A. Boit Writing Prize at MIT (2nd Place)
- 1975: Ellen King Prize for Freshman Writing at MIT (3rd Place)
- 1974: Westinghouse Science Talent Search (top 40)
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute